Personal Injury: Do I Need a Lawyer?
If you or a loved one is the victim of medical negligence, personal injury, or car crash, the overwhelming situation may leave you feeling helpless. And after a severe accident, it’s normal to have questions. What will recovery look like? Is it too soon to return to work? What are the next steps?
However, do I need a personal injury attorney? is one of the most important questions many people will ask themselves following an accident. The answer is, almost always, yes.
When to Hire an Injury Lawyer
Consider speaking to a lawyer right away if:
- The crash resulted in serious injuries or death of a loved one
- You or your family have been impacted by your injury
- The crash led to temporary or long-term disability
- You have missed work due to your injury
- You are unsure of the full extent of your losses
- You are concerned that the insurer’s settlement offer will not cover your losses
How Can a Personal Injury Lawyer Help You?
Having a personal injury lawyer on your side can benefit you in numerous ways, including:
- Explaining your legal rights and options for recovering money for your injury claim
- Protect you from bad faith insurance tactics
- Help you avoid mistakes that could hurt your claim
- Investigate your accident case and gather evidence to prove fault and liability
- Identify the parties responsible for your injuries
- File insurance claims and handle all communication with the insurance provider
- Retain experts to assist with the case
- Help you document your damages
- Calculate the maximum value for your personal injury claim
- Negotiate a fair settlement for your injury claim
- File a personal injury lawsuit, if necessary
5 Reasons to Hire a Personal Injury Attorney
Personal injury attorneys have experience advocating for their clients who have been injured through no fault of their own, communicating with other lawyers and insurance companies, and litigating these issues in a court setting.
Medical malpractice, personal injury, and car crash claims are complex and must be proven with strong evidence. Attorneys conduct the investigations, research, and negotiations. This includes thoroughly analyzing medical records and police reports. Personal injury lawyers know when a case can be settled instead of going to trial. Maybe you aren’t sure if you are even in a position to receive monetary compensation after an accident. A personal injury lawyer can assess the basics of your accident and let you know if you have a case and what the next steps should be.
- Preventing Errors
These claims can be compromised by small mistakes, such as missing deadlines or accidentally saying something that could be used against you. A lawyer can protect you from such errors so that your case is not over before it has even begun. Your attorney will also keep track of deadlines, since Pennsylvania has a statute of limitations - the amount of time an individual has to file a lawsuit. For medical malpractice, negligence, or personal injury claims, the statute of limitations is 2 years.
- Personal Injury Attorneys Level the Playing Field
Insurance claim adjusters are trained in tactics intended to deny or limit the amount of compensation you may receive. A skilled personal injury attorney is familiar with these tactics and can help ensure you are not manipulated into getting less than what you deserve.
- Peace of Mind
Seeking compensation for your injuries after suffering an injury through no fault of your own can be a stressful and time-consuming process. Having a personal injury lawyer will save you time and give you the peace of mind you need to focus on getting better. Our team of personal injury attorneys will take care of the complex issues you don’t want to deal with.
- No Fee Unless You Win
Our personal injury attorneys at Scartelli Olszewski, P.C. take cases on a contingency fee basis. That means you pay no legal fees unless we obtain a verdict or settlement on your behalf. You don’t have to worry about upfront costs while you’re contending with other expenses.
Hiring a personal injury attorney doesn’t change the fact that you were a victim of medical malpractice, personal injury, or a car crash, but it can help the stressful aftermath. For a free consultation with our personal injury attorney, Melissa Scartelli, contact us today via phone: 570-346-2600. You will receive personal attention and dedicated service.