Melissa A. Scartelli, Esq.
President and founder Melissa A. Scartelli has represented seriously injured plaintiffs in the state and federal courts of Pennsylvania for nearly 30 years. She is one of the leading trial lawyers in Northeast Pennsylvania and won a record 10 million dollar jury verdict for a young man injured by medical malpractice at Geisinger Clinic. It remains the highest jury verdict in a medical malpractice case in Luzerne County history.
She is a member of the prestigious Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum, which requires members to secure at least one multi-million dollar verdict, award or settlement. She is one of few women attorneys in Northeast Pennsylvania to be a Board Certified Civil Trial Advocate which requires completion of numerous jury trials and passing a written test. For years, she has been named among Pennsylvania’s Super Lawyers, a recognition earned by fewer than 5 percent of the state’s attorneys.
A native of Scranton, Pa., Melissa has remained dedicated to representing innocent victims of accidents and malpractice. In 2001, she founded the firm that would later become Scartelli Olszewski. Melissa takes pride in getting to know her clients personally. She takes seriously her slogan “Small enough to care, large enough to win.”
A 1987 graduate of The Dickinson School of Law, Melissa was captain of the trial moot court team and received the Award for Excellence in Trial Advocacy by the International Academy of Trial Lawyers. Melissa currently serves on the Leadership Council for the Penn State Dickinson Law. In 2008, she established a scholarship at the law school in memory of her late parents Marilyn B. and Edward R. Scartelli. The scholarship is given annually to a law school applicant from Northeastern Pennsylvania who has no other lawyers in the immediate family.
Melissa is admitted to practice before all of Pennsylvania’s state courts, the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, and enjoys practicing law with her husband, attorney Peter Paul Olszewski, Jr., who also is a shareholder with the firm. In 2020, Melissa and Peter Olszewski are thrilled to welcome daughter Rachel Olszewski as a member of the firm.
Professional & Community Affiliations:
- Multi Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- American Association for Justice
- Lackawanna Bar Association, Board of Directors, 2002-2008
- Luzerne County Bar Association, Social Committee, 1999-Present
- Northeastern Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association, President, 2000-2001
- Pennsylvania Association for Justice
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Trial Lawyers for Public Justice
Honors & Awards:
- 'Super Lawyers' 2009-present
- ‘Best Lawyers’ 2016-present
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers 2010-2016
- Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum 2014
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum 2011
- Board Certified Civil Trial Advocate, National Board of Trial Advocacy 2011
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers 2009-2010
- Pennsylvania State Police’s Highest Citizenship Award 2005
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers Award for Excellence in Trial Advocacy 1987
- The Dickinson School of Law, J.D., 1987
- Dickinson College, B.A., Cum Laude, 1984
- Scartelli Olszewski, P.C., President/Shareholder, 2001-Present
- Hourigan, Kluger & Quinn, P.C., Associate, 1989-1993; Shareholder, 1993-2001
- Lackawanna County Court of Common Pleas Judge S. John Cottone, Law Clerk, 1987-1989
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit